"WHAT MATTERS TO OEA MEMBERS"
Grass Valley, Montclair, Peralta, SEED, Lafayette, Sequoia, Laurel, Bunche, Hillcrest, Madison, Park Academy, Reading Clinic, La Escuelita, Piedmont Ave, Munck, Kaiser, Westlake, Sanfoka Academy, Esperanza, Chabot.
HERE'S WHAT WE HEARD
Question 1: What are the most important things you need to improve students' academic and social/emotional outcomes?
* smaller class size/caseload
* on site psych/counseling support (not just
* intervention (academic) staff w/equity of
service & reasonable group sizes
* planning time
Question 2: What are the most important things you need to develop as a professional educator?
* duty free or extended contract (paid) planning time
* relevant, member-driven PDs
* duty free or paid prep time
* access to functional, current technology
* evaluations that support professional growth
Question 3: What are the factors that might prevent you from remaining as a career educator in Oakland?
* low salary
* high class size/caseloads
* lack of effective administrative leadership
"Lack of Respect" was actually the second highest factor reported for question 3. However we found it difficult to define this. Does "lack of respect" mean unrealistic demands and expectations are placed on us, we are given a lack of resources, we are blamed for lack of student growth, or we have a lack of member voice in decision-making?
DO THE ITEMS LISTED ABOVE CAPTURE WHAT IS IMPORTANT TO YOU?
Come to the OEA Membership Meeting/Contract Convention to share your opinions and/or to give your feedback as to how these top issues might be addressed at the bargaining table.
Your OEA Bargaining Team