For Executive Board Seat #4
of the OEA Executive Board
**I want to do what’s good for teachers,
so teachers can do what’s good for kids. **
Benjie, a Bay Area native, teaches 8th grade Humanities at Melrose Leadership Academy. He has been his school site’s Representative to the OEA Rep Council for three years and has been active in organizing his site for all OEA actions.
--> Improve communication with and engagement of all OEA members
- Build on the success of the Effective Teacher Task Force meetings in April to create more opportunities for constructive dialogue between all members about the real conditions necessary for our success
- Build member engagement in our union through better email communication regarding meeting agendas, motions being considered, and decisions made by OEA leadership
--> Strategic collaboration to bring more resources into Oakland schools
- Form strategic relationships with local community groups to support local revenue source
- Bring the fight to the State level, and organize to reform the State tax code
--> Renew contract bargaining efforts, centered on improving our practices as professionals by calling for…
- Increased teacher compensation
- Built-in PLC (Professional Learning Communities) time at sites, sharing best practices
- Built-in peer observation/ release days for newer teachers to observe more veteran/ master teachers
- Built-in on-going mentor teacher relationships for all teachers at all school sites/ across school sites if necessary
I want to also encourage everyone to support and vote for
Toni Morozumi for Executive Board Seat #1,
Isabel Toscano for Executive Board Seat #3,
and Kei Swensen for 2nd Vice President
We share a similar vision for positive change in the union, in the district and in our schools. I am in full support of their candidacies.
If you have any questions for me please do not hesitate to send me an email.
Thank you all for your support, time, effort, passion and devotion to teaching in Oakland.
8th Grade Humanities Teacher
Melrose Leadership Academy
Vote May 3rd through May 13th!
Look for your ballots at your site starting May 3rd.
Your rep should pick them up at Rep Council, Monday May 2nd.